Thursday 29 December 2011

Materials and Processes Rationale


I began this brief by looking at the cube as a mathematical shape. Using graph paper I made a series of drawings calculating the dimensions and volumes of cubes from various sizes. Square paper allowed me to draw simple cubes from different perspectives. To present the cube in alternative ways.
Looking at Tom Freedman's work, I attempted cubes constructed from house hold objects and materials. For example, Magazines, Cotton buds, Maps, Marbles and Matchsticks. The size of each material determined the size of the cubes. Using household objects in art can give value to worthless materials. This highlights the importance of process. It’s how you use the material that creates successful artwork. The general public can relate to these materials from everyday use. However, what is interesting is seeing these materials in unusual compositions. For, example stacking marbles to form a cube. One difficulty of producing art from everyday household materials is trying to make these pieces look professional and viable to be seen in a gallery space. 



Moving away from these materials I selected the clay workshop to produce a simple cube. Clay is a traditional material that has been used for many years. This materials brings many historical contexts with it. It is an organic material which contrasts with the household materials used previously. Clay is a difficult material to work with when creating a large 10cm square cube. Each side of the cube has to be pieced together separately, covering these bonds is difficult and are still visible after neatening up. Clay shrinks in the kiln by 10%. This has changed the form of the cube and the shape has become slightly distorted. I selected a metallic glaze as I was interested in making one material look like another. The clay cube now appears to be made from metal. 
Throughout this brief I have been experimenting with alternative ways to drawing. Moving away from paper and pencil. I began to draw onto acetate, tin foil and fabric. Each surface creates different effects on the drawing. For example, tin foil reflects light from different angles so the drawing is constantly changing as you approach it and using acetate allowed me to place other material beneath it. When experimenting with alternative ways to drawing, I began using a series of pinpricks to create texture on paper, these pinpricks were used to draw a cube design. I’ve also started creating drawings with burning matches. The interesting aspect about drawing with fire is that the marks created are out of my control. This is something I am currently focusing on in the Individual and Social brief. With more time I would have liked to develop these techniques further and create large scale pieces.
When researching into how the cube is used in contemporary art, many minimalist artists were raised. For example, Sol Lewitt. He focuses on the structures of a cube. He removes the skin from a cube and reveals it’s bones. Minimalist artists typically work around geometric shapes often based on the square. They explore the properties of materials. With this in mind, I started to create a minimalist sculpture that highlights the cubes form. For my final piece I have created a chain of white cubes made from MDF. Although MDF is a cheap material, it’s easy to work with and can be disguised. The sculpture has also been the focus for another piece of work. I have scanned the sculpture and printed them in reprographics creating a 2D piece of work from a 3D form. 



No comments:

Post a Comment